Yes the shoe is welded. Needs some shaping, sanding and painting before I fit it ! 🙂
Last time Evan flew the Bleriot, the skid snapped of. Probably because the weld of the bracket holding it wasn’t the best.
That bracket is fixed now, but at the same time we noticed that the skid started wearing quite a bit.
Were it’s going over the runway was all flat with square edges, and that probably resulted in the skid snapping as it happened when Evan was turning.
So to fix / improve that, I started making a shoe that goes over the skid or stick.
Had a bit of steel left over of the safety harness support frame, and shaped it so it had nice round edges, made cuts in it so it can be bend to the right shape and then welded.
Made an extra strip for more wear protection to go at the bottom of the shoe.
That should do the trick 😊
Have thought for a while to secure the top of the safety harness to the metal frame that holds it up. Up to now that triangle steel “ring” was just sitting in the top of that bar, BUT
Today I made two little steel cables with thimbles on the end. Drilled little holes in the tube exactly where thimble sits, and by pushing a pin through there, the harness is secure and can’t fall of the frame anymore 🙂
Did a bit more on the throttle and mixture controls. Connecting up again 🙂 Looking good with the timber knob. A bit of paint on the rivets that are “covering” the old holes and its finished……
Poor old Gold. Today we had to put our horse “Gold” to sleep. We buried him in between Carrie and Lacey 🙁
OK almost finished now with the instruments…….
Made a battery holder, so it won’t “fly” away, plus measured up the exhaust stubs. Hopefully I can get those made in time…
Tomorrow all the electrical work should be finished, that’s the plan !!
Finally riveted the seat down on the fuselage. I haven’t finished the seat yet as I was going to cover it with leather, but there is no time for that now. That can come later. Just need a little pillow in it for now and that will do I think.
Also started working on the electrics, wiring up the instruments. Hopefully that will be done in a few days.
After fixing the opening where I had the second seat for the TV recording, I did the cables for the shoulder strep’s of the safety harness. The black frame you see below, slides into an “internal slot” so it can be removed when the Bleriot is parked, and showed.
And yes guess what, yes I added the last instrument, but to dark to make a photo. Just have to wait a bit longer before you see it 🙂
And yes, added two more instruments; voltmeter and oil temperature……