Actually I didn’t use a true RNAS colour. Valspar colours have indicated many of their colours as Historical Colours and I cheated a bit by simply looking at the colour closest to RNAS and choosing that historical colour and called it good. All 4 colours on the plane are Historical colours for one reason or another (may not even be Aviation based at all).
As far as painting and flipping. The wings were laid onto sawhorses and the top surfaces were painted down to the leading and trailing edge. They were let dry, at least over night and then the wing was turned over so that the bottom surface of the wing could be painted. As the bottom surface was painted a cream color, most of it was painted first then outlined in the colour used on the top and blended in at the leading and trailing edge.
As a former employee of Lowes, I am still a bit partial to Lowes products and due to the Primer being built into the new DuraMax paints I feel confident that they will work to the standards of any other Latex EXTERIOR house paint.. The key is to not be able to get light through the paint as seen from the cloth side under normal lighting conditions. (trouble light is commonly used to test with a 60watt bulb). This will prevent the UV light rays from penetrating the surface and damaging the cloth below. I think the key is use the minimum coats of paint to achieve this goal. I found that 3 good coats will do that.
As I said this is just the way I painted mine.. as they say it is EXPERIMENTAL.
Soviet Sopwith Pup Project