Painting the exhaust

Yesterday I started cleaning and priming the exhaust to prepare it for the final black mat colour. Went really well. I used primer (white) and final coat (black mat) Flame Proof from VHT. I think it worked well, all that needs to happen now is cure the paint by heating up the exhaust. can’t wait !!!!!

Looking good anyway 🙂

Oh yes and I need to secure the sleeved sections of the ring by drilling little holes through the sleeves, inserting a little steel pin and a clamp over it.

1439673249

1439673335

1439673516

Fuel pump

Installed a little fuel pump today. Reading the carburetor specs on my engine, I found that I needed at least 24″ of fuel pressure, and with my tank position I didn’t have that. This little electronic pump creates a pressure of about 3 PSI, not a lot but that’s what the specs required. After I installed it I had it running for a few minutes without running engine and no flooding of the carb, so the fuel control needle valve inside the carb must be working nicely. As soon as the ring exhaust is back, I can try it out.

Oh yes, when pump is not running, the fuel still flows, so that’s good.

In the past when the engine was running, it looked OK with the fuel pressure, but once or twice in the early stages, the engine stopped on us with not a lot of fuel left in the tank, so maybe that’s what it was.

1439150644

Nicely going down, all the way from the tank to the carburetor.

4249497_orig

1439149682

More cutting

Right: finished cutting the 2″ OD ring. The “top” 3 segments are the correct size. The bottom 2 are still un-cut and will be cut when top 3 are mounted on the engine.

1433836932

1433836398

Left: found a “free” piece of stainless steel flexible exhaust tube with internal diameter of 1″. Exactly what I needed for the heat exchanger on the carburetor. Some of the exhaust gasses will be diverted through this heat exchanger to heat up the carburetor to stop it from icing up where the fuel evaporates inside the carburetor.

Oh yes also bought a bit of 2″ bend tube (with a small radius) that will be welded to the bottom, so the exhaust gasses will exit downwards.

Collector ring

During the week I also made some rings (will show you later) that Warren is going to weld onto the stubs shown above and machine to the right size and shape, so they fit inside the exhaust nut.

Also this week I had the “collector” made from a 2″ tube.

1910532_orig

Cutting it into segments, also made short bits of sleeve, of a tube one size down so that fits inside the 2″ tube. These sleeves going to be welded on one side and on the other I will use rivets to attach them again.
The main reason for doing this, is so the ring can move a bit when the engine and exhaust gets hot. Other reason is that the whole ring can’t be installed as a whole ring as the engine is installed on the engine frame….

4608210_orig

7436759_orig

5 exhaust outlets stubs

Finished cutting the 5 stubs to go into the exhaust outlets. Taking them into the car exhaust company where I got the tube from, so they can cut one end that will butt onto the 2″ ring “collector”.

Also had to clean the exhaust outlet as there was a lot of carbon build-up. I noticed that the old bits of stub that came with the engine had been “crimped” a bit to make them fit. All they would have had to do was clean the bloody thing. Oh well, fits nicely now 🙂