Flight 53, RW04

Decided to fly early Sunday morning. Yesterday we had strong North Easterlies, and the same forecast for today.

I arrived early, around 7, and yes the wind had already picked up. But after last weeks North West winds, I wanted to try it out again.

I was ready doing my pre-flight checks, and rang Terry. I assumed he would be home, but it turned out that he was on his way to the airport as well. Only 2 minutes. So yes when he got here, he gave me the OK to fly. I assume he wanted to see me fly, and keep an eye on me πŸ™‚

I told him I wanted to use the shorter runway (RW04) as thats pointing nicely into today’s wind.

Yes I took of from RW04, and flew my circuit. The plan was to fly a few circuits, and then decide what to do, stop or go flying somewhere. When I left there was no one else in the circuit, but soon after I took off, I had someone, Victor Charlie Charlie I think, ask me what the vector (runway) in use was. Soon I saw him join the circuit. Never saw him land, he must have been behind me all the time…

Anyway, back to my flying….

I flew 3 circuits. The first two touch and go’s weren’t really a landing. As the runway is very short, I only briefly touched down, and then applied power again. I noticed I was drifting sideways quite a bit after turning into the “Cross wind” part of the circuit (first turn left), so yes a lot of wind up there. Apart from that flying went well.

As I was flying a different circuit as the normal one, it all looks a bit different, but that was OK. I started to feel comfortable and was making my decision to leave the circuit during my third circuit.

But then ……. during my 3th final, I suddenly had a big wind gust pushing my left wing down (right wing up…) I banked quite a bit. I did a quick check of my slip indicator, to see what correction I had to make. Luckily that was still in the center.

This is when I decided to stop, and land. The landing went fine I think, can’t remember anymore really. I know I got to a stop halfway on this short runway so that was good.

After I got back to the hangar, I spoke with Terry who had been keeping an eye on me. He told me I made the correct decision. If I would have continued and vacated the circuit, he would have contacted me on the radio, to tell me to come back and land.

So yes happy I did fly this morning. Was only 30 minutes, but feeling good about it. Lots of new experiences !!! Β πŸ™‚

SU carburetor off, old one back on

With my confusing engine issues, I decided to take the SU carburetor off and start putting the old Stromberg carburetor back on again. Hopefully when I get the engine running again, it will tell me something about what’s happening.

When I picked up the old carb I noticed that I did cut the fuel line, to make it fit for the SU carb, so I knew that I wouldn’t be running the engine with the old carb today. That’s OK. That gives me some time to have another good look at it in the next few days.

To be continued !!! Β πŸ™‚

Flight 52, bumpy NW

Yes Saturday again, and we have had a few days of NorWest winds. The same today, but usually they are not as strong in the morning.

So yes I went to the Rangiora air strip and pulled KNZ out of the hangar. I knew it was going to a bumpy flight, but I wanted to fly, to give my body more exposure to turbulent conditions. My plan was to ask Terry if he wanted to fly with me. just as a backup, and to calm “me down”. I am not great in turbulent weather, and used to get air sick, so yes that idea worked well for me.

As soon as I had finished doing the pre-flight checks, Terry arrived, and told me to go solo in the local training area, and enjoy myself. When I told him I wanted to take him as my passenger, he was happy to do that.

So yes, I taxied to runway 25, facing almost perfectly into the wind. We took of very quick with that wind, and slowly climbed up to 1700ft and headed to the “River Junction” reporting point. from there the plan was to fly to Oxford, but we soon realized that the wind was to strong and to turbulent. It wasn’t to bad, but no going to Oxford would be unpleasant. So we turned right towards a local; airstrip “Loburn Abbey”. With the wind in the back that went really quick. With that wind our “ground speed” almost doubled. That’s when Terry decided to go back to Rangiora, and maybe do a few circuits.

So I did a standard circuit overhead join and got into the circuit and landed. We decided to do a few more circuits, so back to the runway and there I went again, still with Terry with me. I wasn’t that worried with him there and not getting “official solo time”. Β At the end of this circuit it got very bumpy for a second, just turning into final. Still feeling very good πŸ™‚

I did one more circuit followed by a perfect landing !!!!!

So yes very happy I went flying this morning. It was only 45 minutes, but my body was feeling good, and that is what I wanted to find out. And yes Terry was happy with how I was dealing with the NorWest wind πŸ™‚

Flight 51, 3 rejoins

This (Monday) morning, I was flying early, just after 0700 !

Woke up normal time for a work day, but instead drove to Rangiora 😊. The weather in the weekend wasn’t great, so decided to fly today.

Got there, ran the engine for a few minutes to warm it up. Stopped it, and did all my checks.

Spoke with Terry on the phone to discuss what the conditions were. Just a nice morning, no wind, and cloudy, just high enough to fly at 2000ft I found out later during the flight.

In the end I did 3 separate flights, with circuit rejoins and a touch and go.

First one, was a short one to a local air strip North, Loburn Abbey. Didn’t land there. That’s where I turned around at 2000ft high, and back to RT.

Second trip was East, via the Ashley river to the river mouth, turned around over the beach, same altitude, and back to RT.

Last one I decided to go West, via “river junction”, and then to Cust before i turned around again. While flying over just, I spotted Evan’s air strip (my test pilot).

All circuit rejoins went really well, as expected. Only heard one plane take off while I was flying. Pretty quiet!

Flying with low cloud went well. It must have been somewhere around 2500ft. I never touched it, but I was close 😊

So yes was a good start to the week.

Hopefully next weekend, will do a cross country to Culverden…..