Gluing veneer

Was a bit nervous today, gluing the veneer to the dashboard.

I applied the glue 2 days ago to both the veneer and the dashboard. My son Rutger, made a piece if timber fitting nicely behind the dashboard, and I got a bit of timber from the shed to go on the other side so I could apply even pressure to all of the surface using a few clamps.

So first I used a hot air gun to heat up the glue on both surfaces, and I did feel some stickiness, but wasn’t sure how long I had to heat it. In the end I just stopped, as you do and positioned the veneer onto the dashboard. Put the two bits of timber on each side and put clamps on, hoping for the best.

After an hour or so, when it was cold again, I took the clamps and timber away, and voilà:

7946227_orig

Looking very good after I removed to excess veneer from the top, and positioned the back half of the top deck.

As you can see from the photo below right, I still need to file off the excess veneer around all other holes. I will do that using a file pushing into the hole from the front, so I don’t create chips on the “nice” side.

So yes all going to plan !!!!!    Happy.


5080135_orig

5820645_orig

Top deck

I was going to stick the veneer to the dashboard, and also start with the top deck (above the dashboard). So I ended up doing the last one first, and ran out of time to do the veneer. Will do that tomorrow, I promise 🙂
Top deck is looking good. Fits perfectly over the ply sheets on the outside of the fuselage. I will rivet it down as soon as the veneer is on ! Man it is looking good !!!!!!!!!!!

Gluing down Rimu

Started the process of glue-ing down the Rimu veneer onto the aluminium dashboard. I am using a glue, that you apply to both surfaces. Normally you let it dry for 10-15 minutes and then carefully join them together. Not sure what you call it but you know what I mean.
The problem with that is that, later on when its hot, the aerosol, or something that’s still in it will try to “get-out”, making the glue go bubbly.
To solve this problem, you let the two surfaces dry completely, so that there is only basically “rubber” left. To stick them together, you need to heat up the glue to 200 degC or so, very hot, so it get’s soft again, and then join them together.
This way, on a hot day in the sun, it will not come off, basically because it will not get as hot as the 200 degC that was used to “glue” them together. Al least this is what a “glue specialist” told me. Makes sense.
Will do the heating up and sticking together tomorrow !!

Attaching aileron to wing

Big day today, attaching the ailerons to the wings. Covering the gab between wing and aileron, and marking the exact position for the bits of leather covering the holes were the cables come through the surface.

1807104_orig

5213858_orig

9816593_orig

I am very VERY pleased with it.

Below, now just covering the gab at the bottom and glue-ing on the leather, and some fabric over that, so they are nicely “hidden”.

But as with everything all of that takes time. Have to finish the other wing tomorrow. But yes looks very good, after ironing the glue-ed on bits of fabric !!!!!!!

9545571_orig

Ailerons almost done

Getting close to finishing the ailerons (right). So you might think that its almost done, but spend all of Sunday (see tomorrow) attaching them to the wings and not completely finished yet.

Below, Rutger is making a stand for the wings to go in. Worked out very well when all done 🙂

Its upside down here, and will have carpet in it when finished.

5610181_orig

415451_orig

FG indicator lines

Picked up the label that goes inside the aluminium tube for the fuel gauge 🙂 Going to work just right !

1421963406

When you look at it like this your eye’s go a bit funny, but in the fuel gauge it’s rolled up and and behind the clear fuel line containing the petrol. The bit of paper I tried looked fine, so as soon as its in (hopefully this weekend) I will try it !

Marking Rimu back

Marked the back of the Rimu veneer with paint where the rivets go, by putting a bit of green paint (see photo) on the rivets and then pressing the veneer against it.

Tomorrow I will use a cutting bit in a drill press to “carve” a bit from the veneer at the back so it fits perfectly against the aluminium dash board. The veneer is 2.5mm thick, so taking 1mm of should be OK.

797820_orig

Dashboard prep

Started with some preparations to get the dash board finished. I riveted the aluminium dash board in place. Mounted the main key power switch and made a hole for it in the Rimu veneer. Tomorrow night I will mark the position of the rivets protruding through this dash board onto the back of the veneer, that’s 2.5 mm thick, so I can cut out some voids.

This way the rivets don’t sit in the way when glue-ing the veneer to the dashboard. All other switches and instruments will be mounted after the veneer is glued on.

Will show what its like tomorrow 🙂