Preparations for flying wires

Started the preparations for the flying wires. The 4 tangs that the front flying cable turn buckles connect to are not long enough. The are mounted on the same bolt, resulting in the ends of them being to close together. So now making new ones that are a bit longer and uneven in length so it should be easy to count the turnbuckles.

Also the four tangs on the support structure for the back four flying cables are new ones. Cut them all to length, drilled the holes and marked the rounded edges, so I can grind them nicely into shape tomorrow at work. Also cut 8 more pieces of leather, for covering the holes at the entry into the wing.

More openings

Been away all day, but just had to do this one thing so it didn’t feel like I didn’t do anything today:-)
Cut out the opening for the longeron on the right side. Nicely fits now. Next I will have to rivet the alu dash board, and then glue the veneer.
Oh no, first I will cut out most of the holes for all the instruments and switches, then glue it and then finish the holes.

Evan Belworthy

Had a second visit from Evan. He did a final inspection of the wings before I start with the fabric. Basically he was happy with all the work I had done, and I even think he looked a little impressed.
Only two comments he made were:
I have to rust protect the steel brackets that are used for the internal bracing cables and the static and the flying cables, so that’s a matter of cleaning them and using the green spray can paint I have used on the fuselage and another coat of paint on top of that.
Plus also the internal bracing wires, where they cross each other and where they touch the bottom rib tube, need to be protected from rubbing, by using a piece of Teflon tube glued to the ribs and similar for the bracing wires where they cross.

So all in all very happy with that.
Also showed him the steel structure that I have made for lifting the shoulder safety belts, and the Rimu veneer I was cutting for the dash board I was working on when he came in.
Then walking into the shed, quickly another look at the engine, which he had seen last year as well when it was apart, and the propeller, made by Chad. He loved it! He knew Chad from the earlier Pietenpol days. So all good 🙂

Rimu

Picked up the piece of Rimu veneer today for the dashboard. Just so you know what Rimu is:

Dacrydium cupressinum, commonly known as rimu, is a large evergreen coniferous tree endemic to the forests of New Zealand. It is a member of the southern conifer group, the podocarps.

I will start cutting it tomorrow and make some photos. It looks really good !

Rudder pedal spring

This morning I started working on the “spring” behind the rudder pedals that pull them forward. What I decided to make after talking with Mike in Rangiora, is a system of pulleys (behind the pedals) and bungee cord (elastic).

Apart from not having enough bungee cord it’s all finished, so will get a longer piece on Monday and finish it then !!

So what you see below is just in front of the right pedal. You can just see it on the left with the hinge at the bottom. From the pedal, the bungee cord goes over the “vertical” pulley on the right, and then comes out at the bottom, going backwards again via the “horizontal” pulley on the left, across the left side to the other pedal. So if one pedal goes forward, the other one goes backwards, and by creating some tension in the bungee cord, the pedals will always want to go forward, resulting in nice tight steel cables going to the rudder from these two pedals.

Oh, and the wooden block is the end stop of the pedal.

4594632_orig

Fuselage with rudder in shed

Today I mounted the rudder to see if I could park the whole fuselage with rudder into the shed. Its a bit of moving backwards and forwards, but it worked.
This means I can start finishing the rudder:

  • The fabric !!!!!!!! (will start with that tomorrow)
  • The wiring for the anti collision light 🙂
  • And the steel control cables to the pedals.

Wow that will look great, cant wait to see it. Nicki was very surprised and happy when I mentioned the fabric 🙂