Dropped these bits of at the local engineering shop to be welded. So yes progress here ! 🙂
Today while I dropped of some bits at the local engineering shop for welding, I also dropped of a few bits I prepared for welding for the PTT (push to talk) switch that’s going to sit on top of the control stick. So this is used for switching the radio into transmit mode, for when you want to talk !
Will show you what it is when its back and ready to install on the stick.
Today I took some bits into work to be welded, plus the crankcase, to take to the spark erosion company. But I was thinking during the day, that I couldn’t get the broken stud out, really because the nut wasn’t properly welded to the stud. So after talking with Warren, my friend who knows a lot and is really interested in all I do here, I decided to take the crankcase into the engineering shop as well. Was going to ask them to weld a nut onto it and possibly try to remove the stud while it was hot. Otherwise I would try it at home again after heating it up in the oven.
But no, he just welded a bit more steel on top of the nut to make it a bit longer, put a clamp on it and started wiggling it.
There was no movement, so Isaac, the guy, yes have to mention the engineering shop now “Thorpe Engineering” here in Christchurch, did some more welding, to heat it up a bit more, and YES, it started moving and slowly the stud came out !!!!!!
VERY happy Isaac !!!!!!!!
I could see he had done that before, so glad I took it in. Well done !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
So took the crankcase home, and started cutting paper gaskets again, preparing for the build again 🙂
Started with the harness shoulder strap support.
It is going to lift up the shoulder strap so it run’s down from that support point to my shoulders.
This whole structure sit’s on top of the spar carry through.
I still need to cut some of the vertical tubes, so that it’s flush with the top of the fuselage. I also will create some bracing with 1/2″ tube Then two, one size down, tubes go in the two verticals, high enough to lift up the shoulder strap. And when the plane is parked, I can just pull out the tubes so it’s not obvious it is there.
First I welded all the remaining double nuts, like you see left here. And after heating it up again, I managed to get all 14 double nutted studs out, easy !
Only the one stud that snapped off at the very beginning failed, even though I had a nut welded on top. Will have to take that to a company who can spark erase, which is the reverse of welding, done by reversing the polarity of the welding cables.
Almost finished, just having trouble soldering the core of the coax to the brass ( I think ) block where the antenna shrews onto.
Will try a more powerful soldering iron at work.
And the coax cable coming out at the bottom, straight into the radio in that corner of the cockpit 🙂
Have been baking today 🙂 , but before I did that, I took all the valve lifter / rollers out, see left below. The heating up works ! I managed to get 25 of the 40 studs out. The last 15 didn’t want to get out because the double nuts I had on the studs where slipping.
Tomorrow I will try to weld the tip of the studs, that should stop the nuts from slipping………
Started on some work here today as other main jobs are holding me up.
I took the Cabine (see above) of the plane and started with some angle brackets, that will hold the little “platform for the antenna base. Also made a little hole at the bottom of the left steel tube of the Cabine for the coax cable, so it can go down through the tube and out through the little hole at the bottom so you won’t see any cable at all !!
OK changing some thoughts here.
I am not going to “wrap” a red anti collision light around the antenna base. It’s just going to be too clunky. I just have to find a place, maybe two places. I am thinking one red anti collision light in front of me, maybe just above the engine frame at the front of the fuselage facing forward, up, left and right. And one red anti collision light behind me, at the beginning of the open frame of the fuselage facing backwards, up, left and right.
Also I have seen photos of landing lights built into the wing. Here are a few examples copied from a book I have. Maybe they can be “hidden” somehow, by creating markings on the wing that “flow” into the clear windows with the lights behind them.
So today after talking with Warren at work, I decided to heat up the engine in the (electric) oven. So this Saturday I will have to open the kitchen windows and “bake” the crankcase for a while at 150 degC or so till it’s just right.
Apparently the alloy expends a bit more than the steel studs, and that should be enough to get the studs out that need replacing !
Just checked, and yes the crankcase fits perfectly 🙂